Sedation dentistry is a wonderful choice for patients who feel anxious or nervous about their dental treatment. Sedation dentistry involves using a sedative medication to help you feel more relaxed and calm during your dental visit. There are several types of sedation dentistry available based on your individual needs and preferences:
Types of sedation
- Nitrous oxide, (laughing gas), which is a sedative gas that is mixed with oxygen. You simply inhale the gas during your treatment to help you feel more relaxed. Nitrous oxide is a mild form of sedation that wears off within just a few minutes after we stop the flow of gas.
- Oral sedation, which involves taking an oral medication before your treatment. By the time of your appointment, you will feel calm and at ease.
- IV sedation, which involves administering the medication intravenously (through the veins). This type of sedation enables our doctor to provide the sedation more quickly, and we can also easily control the level of sedation to ensure that you stay comfortable. IV sedation is a form of conscious sedation, meaning that it will not make you unconscious, but you may feel so relaxed that you fall asleep during your treatment. You may also not remember all of the details of your visit.
Sedation dentistry will help you feel more comfortable during your treatment. Our experienced dentist and dental team will ensure that your entire treatment is safe. Each member of our team is highly trained, and we will carefully monitor you during your visit. If you have chosen oral or IV sedation, please be sure to have a friend or family member available to drive you to and from your appointment.
If you suffer from dental anxiety, if you have had negative experiences at the dentist in the past, or if you simply feel nervous about your treatment, sedation dentistry can help you feel more at ease. Sedation dentistry is also a good choice for patients who have difficulty getting numb or who have an extremely sensitive gag reflex.
For more information on sedation dentistry and how it can make your dental experience more pleasant, we welcome you to contact us today.
Meet Your Dental Anesthesiologists
St. George Kids Dental works closely with Summit Anesthesia, located in Salt Lake City, UT. Summit and their highly strained doctors specialize in bringing hospital-quality anesthesia to the comfort, convenience and familiarity of our local offices.
Dr. Mitchell Duckworth
Founder of Summit Anesthesia
- Undergraduate – University of Utah
- Dental School – University of Southern California
- Anesthesia Residency – Stony Brook University Hospital
- Board Certified Dentist Anesthesiologist
Enjoys family, boating, skiing, traveling, football. As well as every single one of his kids’ hobbies.
Dr. Levi Taylor
Partner of Summit Anesthesia
- Undergraduate – Brigham Young University – Idaho
- Dental School – University at Buffalo
- Anesthesia Residency – University of California Los Angeles
Enjoys family, soccer, skiing, fly fishing, and outdoor adventures
Dr. Luke Taylor
Partner of Summit Anesthesia
- Undergraduate – Brigham Young University
- Dental School – University of Nevada Las Vegas
- Anesthesia Residency – The Ohio State University
Enjoys family, skiing, basketball, soccer, football, golf, outdoor activities, mountain biking and good food.